区别辨析praise、applaud、commend与compliment

praise、applaud、commend与compliment这些动词均有“赞扬、表扬、称赞”之意。

praise : 普通用词,指用语言或其它方式表示夸奖、赞扬。

  • He should be praised for his honesty.
    他应该因为诚实而获得表扬。
  • My parents always praised me when I did well at school.
    我在学校里表现好时父母总是夸奖我。
  • He was highly praised for his research on heart disease.
    他因在心脏病方面的研究而受到高度赞扬。

applaud : 指出色的表演或高尚的行为等得到同声赞许、大声叫好或热烈鼓掌。

  • We applaud the family's decision to remain silent over the issue.
    我们非常赞赏这一家人对此事保持沉默的决定。
  • We applaud her decision.
    我们称赞她的决定。

commend : 正式用词,指对具体功绩或成就等表示称赞或嘉奖。

  • The judge commended her for/on her bravery.
    法官称赞了她的勇敢。
  • For a low-budget film, it has much to commend it (= it deserves praise).
    作为一部低预算影片,它有不少值得称道之处。
  • It says on the back cover of the book "highly commended".
    书的封底上写着“隆重推荐”。

compliment : 侧重客气和礼貌,有时含恭维之意。

  • I was just complimenting Robert on his wonderful food.
    我刚才在夸罗伯特做的饭菜特棒。
  • I must compliment you on your handling of a very difficult situation.
    我必须表扬你对困难局面的处理。