区别辨析miserable、wretched、unhappy与sorry

miserable、wretched、unhappy与sorry这些形容词均含“不幸的”之意。

miserable : 指因贫穷、不幸或屈辱等外部因素给人造成精神痛苦、烦恼或肉体折磨,令人同情和可怜。

  • We were cold, wet and thoroughly miserable.
    我们又冷又湿,难受极了。
  • Don't look so miserable!
    别一副闷闷不乐的样子!
  • She knows how to make life miserable for her employees.
    她知道如何整治她的雇员。

wretched : 多指由于疾病、担忧、忧伤等造成的不幸和痛苦,在外表上显得沮丧、可怜、失望,语气比miserable强。

  • You look wretched─what's wrong?
    你看起来愁眉苦脸的,怎么啦?
  • I felt wretched about the way things had turned out.
    事情落了这么个结局,我感到很难受。

unhappy : 侧重指精神上的不快或失望。

  • to be/look/seem/sound unhappy
    感到 / 看来 / 似乎 / 听起来不愉快
  • an unhappy childhood
    不快乐的童年
  • I didn't realize but he was deeply unhappy at that time.
    我没有察觉到原来他那时非常不开心。

sorry : 常作礼貌用词,表遗憾、婉惜。也指说话人表示同情、悲哀等,感情色彩较强。

  • I'm sorry that your husband lost his job.
    你丈夫把工作丢了,我很惋惜。
  • We're sorry to hear that your father's in hospital again.
    听说你父亲又住院了,我们心里都不好受。
  • No one is sorrier than I am about what happened.
    发生了这样的事,我比谁都难过。