区别辨析low、mean、cheap与shabby

low、mean、cheap与shabby这些形容词均有“卑鄙的、卑贱的、卑下的”之意。

low : 指行为卑鄙、可耻、下文明,可引申指庸俗。

  • low standards
    低劣的水准
  • I have a very low opinion of him.
    我对他评价不高。
  • She has very low self-esteem.
    她有很强的自卑感。
  • How low can you get?
    你能堕落到什么程度?
  • That was a pretty low trick to play.
    那是一种很卑鄙的伎俩。

mean : 暗示狠毒、贪婪、缺乏尊严感等为人们所不耻的卑鄙、自私、渺小的行为。

  • Stop being so mean to me!
    别对我那么刻薄!
  • She just said it to be mean.
    她那么说就是为了让人不悦。

cheap : 侧旨人或物的品质低劣下贱。

  • He's so cheap he didn't even buy me a card for my birthday.
    他真小气,居然连张生日卡都没给我买。
  • I wish you'd stop making cheap jokes about my friends.
    希望你别再对我的朋友们开那种低级玩笑了。

shabby : 指行为的不公和卑劣而使人感到不屑和轻蔑。

  • She spoke out about the shabby way the case had been handled.
    她揭露了处理现金的不正当手段。
  • The company's treatment of women was shabby.
    这家公司对待女性十分不公。