区别辨析lack、need、want与require

lack、need、want与require这些动词均有“缺少、短少”之意。

lack : 指完全短缺或数量不足。

  • He just lacks a little confidence.
    他只是有点缺乏自信。
  • What we lack in this house is space to store things.
    我们这所房子缺少的是储物空间。
  • We are lacking three members of staff due to illness.
    我们有3人因病缺席。

need : 语气较重,指需要必不可少的东西,强调急需。

  • Babies need constant care.
    婴儿时刻都需要人照看。
  • The doctor said I needed an operation.
    医生说我需要动手术。
  • I need to go to the toilet.
    我要去一下洗手间。
  • Most people need to feel loved.
    大多数人都需要有被爱的感觉。

want : 侧重缺少某种必需之物,或个人渴望得到的东西。

  • I want some chocolate.
    我想要些巧克力。
  • She wants a meeting with you.
    她想跟你见面。
  • He's everything you'd ever want in a man - bright, funny and attractive.
    他具备你理想中男人的所有特质——聪明、风趣而又有魅力。

require : 使用广泛,语气较轻。强调急需时可与need换用,但有时暗示所需的人或物是完成某一任务必不可少的。

  • Please call this number if you require any further information.
    如需更多信息请拨此电话号码垂询。
  • Skiing at 80 miles per hour requires total concentration.
    以每小时80英里的速度滑雪需要全神贯注。
  • You are required by law to stop your car after an accident.
    法律规定,发生事故后必须停车。