journey、tour、travel、trip、voyage、excursion、expedition与cruise这些名词均含“旅行”之意。
journey : 最普通用词,侧重指时间较长、距离较远的单程陆上旅行,也指水上或空中的旅行。
- I love going on long journeys.
我喜欢长途旅行。 - We broke our journey (= stopped for a short time) in Jacksonville before travelling on to Miami the next day.
我们在杰克逊维尔稍作停留,第二天继续踏上旅途去迈阿密。 - Have a safe journey!
祝一路平安!
tour : 指最后反回出发地,旅途中有停留游览点,距离可长可短,目的各异的周游或巡行。
- We went on a guided tour of the cathedral/museum/factory.
我们在导游的带领下参观了大教堂/博物馆/工厂。 - A bus took us on a sightseeing tour of the city.
一辆公共汽车载着我们游览了这座城市。 - a tour guide
导游 - a cycling tour of Provence
在普罗旺斯骑自行车旅游
travel : 泛指旅行的行为而不指某次具体的旅行,多指到远方作长期旅行,不强调直接目的地,单、复数均可用。
- air/space travel
航空/航天旅行 - business travel
出差 - We share a love of literature, food and travel.
我们都爱好文学、美食和旅游。 - I heard on the travel news that there'd been an accident.
我从旅游新闻中得知发生了一起事故。
trip : 普通用词,口语多用,常指为公务或游玩作的较短暂的旅行。
- The trip from York to Newcastle takes about an hour by train.
乘火车从约克到纽卡斯尔大约要花1个小时。 - We're going on a trip to Norway this summer.
我们今年夏天去挪威旅行。 - I thought we might hire a motorboat and take a trip round/around the bay.
我觉得我们可以租一艘汽艇,绕着海湾兜一圈。 - We can't afford another trip abroad this year.
今年我们没钱再次去国外旅行。
voyage : 指在水上旅行,尤指海上旅行,也可指空中旅行。
- He was a young sailor on his first sea voyage.
他第一次出海航行时还是个年轻的水手。 - The first year of a loving relationship is a voyage (= period) of discovery.
谈恋爱的第一年是彼此了解的阶段。 - In their little boat they planned to voyage to distant lands.
他们打算乘他们的小船出行去遥远的地方。
excursion : 较正式用词,常指不超过一天的短时期娱乐性游玩,也可指乘火车或轮船往返特定景点的远足旅游。
- This year's annual excursion will be to Lincoln.
今年的年度短途旅行目的地是林肯。 - Next week we're going on an excursion.
下周我们要去远足。
expedition : 指有特定目的远征或探险。
- We're going on a shopping expedition on Saturday.
周六我们要去购物。 - Scott died while he was on an expedition to the Antarctic in 1912.
斯科特1912年死于南极探险途中。
cruise : 主要指乘船的游览并在多处停靠。
- I'd love to go on a round-the-world cruise.
我很想乘船周游世界。 - a luxury cruise ship
豪华游轮