区别辨析infer、deduce、conclude、gather与judge

infer、deduce、conclude、gather与judge这些动词均含“推断”之意。

infer : 指从已提供的论据或从已接受的前提出发而推断出的结论。

  • What do you infer from her refusal?
    你从她的拒绝中能推断出什么?
  • I inferred from her expression that she wanted to leave.
    从她的表情上我可判断出她想离开。

deduce : 指有充分根据的推论,也指逻辑学上的演绎。

  • We cannot deduce very much from these figures.
    我们无法从这些数字中推断出太多东西。
  • The police have deduced that he must have left his apartment yesterday evening.
    警方推断他肯定是在昨天晚上离开公寓的。

conclude : 指得出符合逻辑的结论。

  • The jury concluded from the evidence that the defendant was innocent.
    陪审团依据证据判裁决告无罪。
  • The discussions continued late into the night, but nothing was concluded.
    一直谈到深夜,可是没有作出任何决定。

gather : 指从听到的情况推测、判定。

  • Harry loves his new job, I gather.
    我认为哈里很喜欢他的新工作。
  • From what I can gather, they're old school friends.
    据我推断,他们是过去上学时的朋友。

judge : 多指经过仔细鉴定或评价之后作出决断。

  • So far, he seems to be handling the job well, but it's really too soon to judge.
    到目前为止,他的工作看起来还干得不错,但现在下结论还为时过早。
  • It's difficult to judge whether the new system really is an improvement.
    很难判断新系统是否真的有所改进。
  • The meeting was judged (to have been) a success.
    人们认为会议很成功。