区别辨析impartial、just、fair、neutral与objective

impartial、just、fair、neutral与objective这些形容词均有“公正的、公平的、不偏不倚的”之意。

impartial : 侧重对任何人或任何一方没有成见或偏袒。

  • impartial advice
    客观公正的建议
  • A trial must be fair and impartial.
    审判必须客观公正。

just : 多用于庄重场合,指不受个人利益得失或感情倾向的影响,侧重按照公认的准则或标准处理问题。

  • The judge's sentence was perfectly just in the circumstances.
    在这种情况下,法官的判决非常公正。
  • I don't really think he had just cause to complain.
    我认为他没有什么正当的理由抱怨。

fair : 普通常用词,指不偏不倚地对待人和物,侧重不受个人感情、偏见或利益所影响。

  • a fair trial
    公正的审判
  • Why should I have to do all the cleaning? It's not fair!
    为什么我要做所有的打扫工作?这不公平!
  • It's not fair on Joe (= it is not right) to make him do all the work!
    所有的工作都让乔做,这对他不公平!
  • It's not fair that she's allowed to go and I'm not!
    允许她去,却不许我去,这不公平!

neutral : 强调持中立态度,不偏袒任何一方,甚至不作最后的裁决。

  • If there's an argument between my daughter and her mother, it's important that I remain neutral.
    如果我女儿和她母亲发生争吵,我保持中立是很重要的。
  • The peace conference would have to be held in a neutral country.
    和平会议必须在一个中立国举行。
  • I'd rather meet on neutral ground/territory (= somewhere not controlled by or connected to either of us) rather than in his apartment.
    我宁愿在一个与双方都无关的地方和他见面,而不是在他的公寓里。

objective : 着重客观、真实,不为个人偏见、兴趣、感情或看法所左右。

  • an objective and impartial report
    客观公正的报告
  • I can't really be objective when I'm judging my daughter's work.
    评价自己女儿的作品时,我的确无法做到客观。