区别辨析heaven、sky与paradise

heaven、sky与paradise这些名词均有“天”或“天堂”之意。

heaven : 作“天空”解时,常用复数,文学用词;作“天堂”解时,多用大写形式,采用单数。

  • Four tall trees stretched up to the heavens.
    四棵大树参天而立。
  • We stared up at the heavens trying to see the comet.
    我们仰望天空想看到彗星。

  • I feel like I've died and gone to heaven.
    我仿佛觉得自己已经死了,进了天堂。
  • I just lay in the sun for a week and did nothing - it was heaven.
    一星期我都躺在阳光下什么也不干——简直像天堂一样。

sky : 普通用词,指人们头顶上的天空,一般属于笼罩地球的空气层。较少用于指天国或天堂。

  • a blue/cloudy/dark sky
    蓝色/多云/阴暗的天空
  • Can you see those birds high up in the sky?
    你能看到高空的那些鸟吗?
  • We looked up at/into the sky at the sound of the plane.
    我们听到飞机的声音后抬头仰望天空。

paradise与heaven同义,宗教色彩浓厚,指好人死后灵魂长存之处,口语中表示乐园或乐事,在宗教典故中,指天主教与基督教中的伊甸乐园。

  • a tropical paradise
    一处热带天堂
  • His idea of paradise is to spend the day lying on the beach.
    他心目中的天堂生活就是整天躺在沙滩上休闲。
  • This mall is a shopper's paradise.
    这个商业中心是购物者的天堂。

  • They believe they'll go to Paradise after they die.
    他们相信自己死后会上天堂。