区别辨析further、advance、promote、contribute与push

further、advance、promote、contribute与push这些动词都含“促进、推进”之意。

further : 中性词,既可指对好事的促进、推进,又可指对坏事的助长。

  • Before we go any further with the project, I think we should make sure that there's enough money to fund it.
    在我们推进这个计划之前,我觉得我们应该核实一下是否有足够的资金来支持。
  • If you wish to take the matter further, you can file charges against him.
    如果你想采取进一步行动的话,可以对他提出指控。

advance : 通常指为加速某一进程或达到某个预期目的而给予有效的促进,强调作出有意识、决定性的努力。

  • The fire advanced steadily through the forest.
    大火在森林中不断蔓延。
  • The troops advanced on the city (= approached it, ready to attack).
    军队向该城推进。
  • We have advanced greatly in our knowledge of the universe.
    在认识宇宙方面,我们已经取得长足的进步。

promote : 指在某一进程的任何时期或阶段提供积极的帮助与支持。

  • Advertising companies are always having to think up new ways to promote products.
    广告公司总是得想出新办法来促销。
  • The Institute is intended to promote an understanding of the politics and culture of the Arab world.
    该协会旨在促进人们对阿拉伯世界政治文化的了解。

contribute : 指能促进事物向前发展的因素,但这种因素并非决定性的。

  • Smoking contributed to his early death.
    吸烟导致他早逝。

push : 口语用词,通常指利用自己的活动或影响推进某事。

  • Can you help me move this table? You push and I'll pull.
    你能帮我挪一下这张桌子吗?你推我拉。
  • The window sticks - you have to push hard to open it.
    这扇窗户卡住了,开的时候得使劲推。
  • He helped me push my car off the road.
    他帮我把车推离了公路。
  • He pushed his plate away from him, refusing to eat any more.
    他把盘子从面前推开,不想再吃了。