区别辨析forget、omit、neglect、overlook、disregard与ignore

forget、omit、neglect、overlook、disregard与ignore这些动词均有“疏忽、忽略”或“忘记”之意。

forget : 普通用词,侧重某事不重要或太复杂而未能记住,也指有意疏忽或忘掉。

  • I'm sorry, I've forgotten your name.
    对不起,我忘了你的名字。
  • Let me write down that date before I forget it.
    在我忘记之前,让我把日期写下来吧。
  • I completely forgot about Jenny's party.
    我完全忘记了詹妮的聚会。
  • We had forgotten (that) she doesn't come on Thursdays.
    我们都忘了,她星期四都是不来的。

omit : 指有意或无意地忘记做某事,也指删去被视作不重要、不合意的东西。

  • She was omitted from the list of contributors to the report.
    这篇报道的撰稿人中漏掉了她的名字。
  • The Prince's tour conveniently omitted the most deprived areas of the city.
    亲王的巡查为避开麻烦,没有去该市最贫困的地区。

neglect : 侧重指有意的忽略或忽视,也可指粗心与疏忽。

  • to neglect your appearance/the house
    不修边幅/疏于整理花园
  • He neglects that poor dog - he never takes him for walks or gives him any attention.
    他对那只可怜的狗漠不关心——从不带它散步,也从不关心它。

overlook : 指因匆忙而疏忽或视而不见。

  • I think there is one key fact that you have overlooked.
    我认为你忽略了一个重要的事实。
  • No one will be overlooked when we select players for the team.
    在组队时不会忽略任何人。

disregard : 多指有意或自觉地不顾某事。

  • What amazes me is her complete disregard for anyone else's opinion.
    让我吃惊的是,她完全无视他人的意见。

ignore : 通常指有意不顾,或不理显而易见的事物。

  • She can be really irritating but I try to ignore her.
    她有时会特别烦人,不过我尽量不去理会她。
  • Safety regulations are being ignored by company managers in the drive to increase profits.
    为了增加利润,公司经理们对安全章程熟视无睹。