区别辨析desire、wish、hope、expect、want与long

desire、wish、hope、expect、want与long这些动词都有“希望”之意。

desire : 语气较正式庄重,着重渴望的力量与热切,常含有强烈的意图和目的。

  • I desire only to be left in peace.
    我只想清清静静地不受打扰。
  • The hotel had everything you could possibly desire.
    该酒店有你可能想要的任何东西。

wish : 语气较弱,多指难于实现或不可能实现的愿望。

  • I wish (that) I was/were a bit taller.
    我个子再高一点就好了。
  • I wish (that) you were coming with me, Peter.
    你要是和我一起去就好了,彼得。

hope : 指对愿望实现有一定信心的希望。

  • I'm hoping for an interview next week.
    我盼望着下星期有一次面试。
  • She's hoping (that) she won't be away too long.
    她希望她不会离开太久。

expect : 通常指有很大程度的把握,但仍含有预料之意,或预计某事或某行动的发生。

  • We are expecting a lot of applicants for the job.
    我们预计会有很多人来应聘这份工作。
  • I expect (that) you'll find it somewhere in your bedroom.
    我想你会在你卧室里找到它。

want : 一般指所想要的东西是切望得到的东西,能弥补实际需要。

  • I want some chocolate.
    我想要些巧克力。
  • She wants a meeting with you.
    她想跟你见面。
  • He's everything you'd ever want in a man - bright, funny and attractive.
    他具备你理想中男人的所有特质——聪明、风趣而又有魅力。

long : 语气强,指极殷切地盼望着,这种盼望侧重于很难或不可能得到的东西。有时也指一般愿望,但含一定感情色彩。

  • She longed to see him again.
    她很想再见到他。
  • I'm longing for news of him.
    我正在盼望着得到他的消息。