区别辨析but、however、still、yet、nevertheless、while与whereas

but、however、still、yet、nevertheless、while与whereas这些连词或副词均含“但是、可是、然而、而”之意。

but : 口语常用词,语气较强,泛指与前述情况相反。

  • She's very hard-working but not very imaginative.
    她工作很努力,但缺乏想象力。
  • This is not caused by evil, but by simple ignorance.
    这并不是恶意而为,只是由于无知。
  • The play's good, but not that good - I've seen better.
    这出戏还可以,但也不是多好——我看过更好的。

however : 表转折关系,语气稍弱于but,连接性也弱一些,因而常作插入语。

  • This is one possible solution to the problem. However, there are others.
    这是该问题的一种可能的解决办法,但还有其他的办法。
  • There may, however, be other reasons that we don't know about.
    然而,可能还有其他我们不知道的原因。

still : 语气强,多用于肯定句或疑问句。指尽管作出让步,采取措施或表示反对,但情况仍然如故,无所改变。

  • You may not approve of what he did, but he's still your brother.
    你可能不赞成他的所作所为,但他仍然是你的兄弟。
  • I know you don't like her, but you still don't have to be so rude to her.
    我知道你不喜欢她,但尽管如此,你也没必要对她那么无礼。

yet : 常用于否定句,语气比still稍强。指不管作出多大努力或让步,仍达不到预期的结果。

  • It's a small car, yet it's surprisingly spacious.
    这辆汽车不大,然而却出奇地宽敞。
  • He has a good job, and yet he never seems to have any money.
    他有份好工作,然而他却好像总也没有钱。
  • simple yet effective
    简单而又高效

nevertheless : 指尽管作出完全让步,也不会发生任何影响。

  • I knew a lot about the subject already, but her talk was interesting nevertheless.
    关于这个话题我已经知之甚多,但她的报告听起来还是很有趣。

while : 表对比,一般可与whereas换用,但程度弱一些。

  • While I accept that he's not perfect in many respects, I do actually like the man.
    虽然我承认他在很多方面不是那么完美,但我实际上还是非常喜欢这个男人的。
  • While I fully understand your point of view, I also have some sympathy with Michael's.
    尽管我完全能理解你的观点,但我在一定程度上也赞同迈克尔的观点。

whereas : 表对比,一般可与while互换。

  • He must be about 60, whereas his wife looks about 30.
    他肯定有60岁上下了,可他妻子看起来只有30岁左右。
  • You eat a huge plate of food for lunch, whereas I have just a sandwich.
    你午饭吃了一大盘东西,可我只吃了个三明治。