become、get、grow、turn、go与come这些动词均可表示“变成、成为”之意。
become : 最普通用词,作为连系动词,指从一个状态向另一个状态的变化。
- I was becoming increasingly suspicious of his motives.
我越来越怀疑他的动机。 - It was becoming cold, so we lit the fire.
天气越来越冷了,所以我们就燃起了火。 - After giving up smoking, he became fat and irritable.
戒烟后,他发福了,而且老爱发火。 - Margaret Thatcher became the UK's first woman prime minister in 1979.
玛格丽特·撒切尔于1979年成为英国第一位女首相。 - He has just become a father.
他刚刚当上爸爸。
get : 常指某人或某物有意无意地获得引起变化的因素,结果使变成另一状态。
- He gets really upset if you mention his baldness.
你要是提他谢顶的事儿,他就会很生气。 - Is your cold getting any better?
你感冒好点儿了吗? - Your coffee's getting cold.
你的咖啡要凉掉了。 - After a while you get used to all the noise.
过一会儿你就会习惯这些噪音了。 - You're getting to be such a big boy, aren't you!
你长成个大男孩了,是不是! - How did you get to be a belly dancer?
你是怎么成为一个肚皮舞演员的?
grow : 常指逐渐地变成新状态,强调渐变的过程。
- He grew bored of the countryside.
他厌倦了乡村生活。 - Growing old is so awful.
变老真是太可怕了。 - I've grown to like her over the months.
几个月来我已经慢慢开始喜欢她了。
turn : 侧重指变得与原来截然不同,有时含贬义。
- The weather has suddenly turned cold.
天气突然变凉了。 - When I refused to pay, he turned nasty.
当我拒绝付钱时,他的态度变得很恶劣。 - She turned pale and started to shiver.
她的脸色变得苍白,身子开始颤抖。 - The mood of the meeting turned solemn when the extent of the problem became known.
当问题的严重程度披露后,会议的气氛开始变得严肃起来。
go : 作为连系动词,通常与形容词连用,指进入某种状态,从而发生变化,多指不好的状态。
- The idea of going grey doesn't bother me, but I'd hate to go bald.
我不在乎我的头发会变灰白,但是我真的很受不了变成个秃头。 - Her father's going senile/blind/deaf.
她父亲变老了/失明了/变聋了。 - If anything goes wrong, you can call our emergency hotline free of charge.
如出现任何问题,你可以拨打我们的免费紧急热线。 - After twelve years of Republican presidents, the US went Democratic in 1992.
在共和党人做了12年的总统后,美国在1992年进入了民主党执政的时代。
come : 侧重变化的经过或过程,多用于不良情况。
- The buttons had come undone.
纽扣都松开了。 - The handle came loose.
这把手松了。 - Everything will come right in the end.
一切到最后都会好起来的。 - This design came to be known as the Oriental style.
这种设计后来被称为东方风格。