区别辨析attend、join、participate与take part in

attend、join、participate与take part in这些动词或词组均含“参加,加入”之意。

attend :侧重参加或出席会议或学术活动等。

  • The meeting was attended by 90% of shareholders.
    90%的股东出席了会议。
  • to attend a wedding/funeral
    参加婚礼 / 葬礼
  • We'd like as many people as possible to attend.
    我们希望出席的人越多越好。

join :普通用词,指加入党派、团体或游戏活动等。

  • I've joined an aerobics class.
    我参加了有氧健身班。
  • She joined the company three months ago.
    她三个月前进了这家公司。
  • (figurative) to join the ranks of the unemployed
    加入失业大军

participate :正式用词,特指参加团体活动,暗示以一个积极的角色参加。

  • We encourage students to participate fully in the running of the college.
    我们鼓励学生全面参与学院的运作。
  • He planned to participate in the demonstration, but then he got cold feet.
    他打算参加示威,但后来临阵退缩了。

take part in :侧重参加某项群众性、集体性的事业、工作或活动,突出参加者在其中发挥一定的作用。

  • If you want knowledge, you must take part in the practice of changing reality.
    你要有知识,你就得参加变革现实的实践。
  • Amongst those who have travelled furthest to take part in the Festival are a group from Northern Ireland.
    在那些不远万里赶来参加节日活动的人中有一群来自北爱尔兰。