A young woman brought her fiance home to meet her parents.
一个年轻女人将未婚夫领到家里见她的父母亲。
After dinner her father asked the young man into his study for a chat.
吃过饭后,她的父亲请那个年轻人进他的书房闲聊。
“So, what are your plans?” he began.
“那么,你有什么打算呢?”他开口问道。
“I’m a theology scholar, ” the young man replied.
“我是个神学学者。”年轻人回答说。
“Admirable,” the father said, “but what will you do to provide a nice home for my daughter?”
“令人佩服,”他的岳父说,“但你拿什么为我的女儿提供一所漂亮住宅呢?”
“I will study and God will provide,” he explained.
“我要学习,上帝会提供的。”他解释说。
“And how will you afford to raise children?”
“那你怎样来支付培养孩子的费用呢?”
“God will provide.”
“上帝会提供的。”
The men left the study and the mother asked her husband, “How’d it go?”
两人离开了书房,女孩的母亲问她的丈夫:“怎么样?”
“He has no money or employment plans,” the father said. “But on the other hand, he thinks I’m God.”
“他既没钱,也没工作计划,”女孩的父亲说,“但另一方面,他又认为我是上帝。”