A Little Bird Told Me
I got this information from a source I cannot reveal
无可奉告,我不说
- "How did you know he was leaving?" "Oh, let's just say a little bird told me."
“你怎么知道他要走了?”“噢,反正我知道。”
(A) Far Cry from
Very different from
和…相去甚远,与…大相径庭
- This flat is a far cry from the house they had before.
这间公寓和他们以前住的房子相去甚远。
Bucket List
Things you want to see or do before you die
平生梦想单(一个人在死之前想要做的所有事情的清单)
- I have so many things on my bucket list yet to do.
在我的平生梦想单上还有许多事情都没做过。
Call It a Night
End an evening’s activities and go home
今晚就做到这里,收工
- We've been working hard on this project all evening; let's call it a night.
我们已经为这个项目忙了一晚上了,今晚就到此为止吧!
Draw a Long Bow
Exaggerate, lie
夸大其词
- We cannot believe him because he used to draw a long bow.
他老是夸夸其谈,我们不能相信他.
Hit It Out of the (ball)Park
Be arrogant, presume that one is better than others
傲慢,认为自己比别人好(昨天的文章中,我们讲了这个习语的本意,今天讲的是其引申义,你还记得吗?)
- - Good luck with your game!
- 祝你比赛好运!
- Thanks! I'll hit it out of the park!
- 谢谢!我定将名列前茅。
On the Down Low
Keep something secret
秘密地;暗中
- Let's keep it on the down-low, okay?
让我们保持低调,好吗?
Your Guess Is as Good as Mine
I don’t know; I have no idea
我跟你一样也不知道
- "What's he doing?" "Your guess is as good as mine."
“他在干什么啊?”“我也不知道。”
When It Rains, It Pours
Problems tend to come in groups
不雨则已,一雨倾盆;祸不单行
- My dog ate my homework, and my computer crashed. Even worse, I got sick that night! When it rains, it pours!
我的狗吃掉了我的家庭作业,还有我的电脑崩溃了.更糟的是,在那天晚上我生病了.真是祸不单行啊!