与运动相关的英语习语

Ballpark Figure
A rough estimate
大概的数字,估计的数字

  • According to my ballpark figure the monthly mortgage payment is about$ 1400.Since both of us work I think we can handle it okay.
    根据我大略的估计每月得支付1400美元左右来偿还按揭,既然我俩都工作,我想我们能对付得过。

Curveball
Say or do something unexpected to someone
(棒球运动中投向击球手的)旋球,弧线球,引申指突如其来的问题、突发的事情

  • Every so often life will throw you a curveball.
    生活常常会冷不丁地给你出个难题。

Start/Set/Get the Ball Rolling
Do something to begin a process
着手干,开始做;带头做

  • I decided to set the ball rolling and got up to dance.
    我决定带个头,就站了起来跳舞。

Heavy Hitter
A powerful, influential person
(尤指商业或政界的)大亨,要员,了不起的大人物

  • Have you seen his résumé? He's a real heavy hitter.
    你见过他的简历了吗?他可真是个了不起的人物啊。

Hit It Out of the (ball)Park
Succeed brilliantly
做得非常好,产生或获得特殊成就

  • I'm pretty sure I hit that test out of the ballpark.
    我敢肯定那次测试我做的非常好。

Jump Through Hoops
Complete a series of tasks in order to satisfy someone
克服种种障碍,越过重重关卡

  • We had to jump through hoops to get my Dad admitted to hospital.
    我们必须克服种种障碍才让医院收下我父亲。

Throw in the Towel
To give up, admit defeat
认输,因觉成功无望而放弃

  • Three of the original five candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination have now thrown in the towel.
    原来竞争民主党总统候选人提名资格的5人中有3位已经放弃了。

(The) Ball’s in Your Court
It’s your turn to make an offer or decision
轮到你作出反应(或采取行动),现在看你的了

  • It's up to you what to do - the ball is in your court now.
    要做什么取决于你——现在就看你的了。

(To Not Have) A Horse in This Race
To have no preference in the outcome of a competition
比比赛结果没有偏好

  • I’m fine with either Olivia or Jason as president. I don’t have a horse in this race.
    无论奥利维亚还是杰森担任总统我都没有意见。 我对这次竞选没有偏好。